It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Tommy LAWTON 1937-1947 

Name: Thomas Lawton

Club: Everton (1937–1945) Chelsea (1945-47)
Number: 9
Position: *CF
Side: RF/BS

Height: 180 cm
Weight: 76 kg

Attack: 91
Defence: 30
Balance: 90
Stamina: 78
Top Speed: 79
Acceleration: 80
Response: 90
Agility: 79
Dribble Accuracy: 75
Dribble Speed: 74
Short Pass Accuracy: 77
Short Pass Speed: 74
Long Pass Accuracy: 68
Long Pass Speed: 74
Shot Accuracy: 88
Shot Power: 92
Shot Technique: 87
Free Kick Accuracy: 60
Curling: 65
Header: 98
Jump: 85
Technique: 79
Aggression: 91
Mentality: 80
Goalkeeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 75

Injury Tolerance: A
Condition: 7
Weak Foot Accuracy: 7
Weak Foot Frequency: 7
Consistency: 8
Growth Type: Early/Lasting

CARDS:

P19 - Fox in the Box

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Positioning - Scoring - Post Player

Attack / Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

Regarded as the finest centre-forward of his generation, Lawton boasted a powerful physique, first-class ball control, coupled with an excellent passing range and a powerful shot. Although naturally right-footed, he worked hard to improve his left foot technique to a standard good enough to be considered a two-footed player. Moreover, he never received a booking throughout his entire career. However, undoubtedly Lawton’s greatest strength was his ability to head the ball. In an era when the ball became abnormally heavy when wet, and laced with a leather thread that, when headed, could leave an impression on the forehead indistinguishable from a dozen stitches inserted by a bungling surgeon. Blessed with a strong pair of muscular legs Tommy was able to leap high and generate a prolonged ‘hang-time’. He had an extraordinary ability to time his jumps to perfection, causing the legendary Stanley Matthews to surmise, ’Quite simply, Tommy was the greatest header of the ball I ever saw’.

https://www.playingpasts.co.uk/articles ... anagement/

Everton won the first four games of the 1938-39 season. The fifth game was against Arsenal, the current league champions, at Highbury. After 15 minutes Lawton passed to Alex Stevenson, who scored from close range. Lawton got the second in the 38th minute. George Casey of the Sunday Pictorial described it as "another wonder goal" from Lawton.

Len Shackleton, played a few games with Lawton for England: "Some of the greatest names in football have filled the centre-forward position and the best of them, in my time, was Tommy Lawton. Tommy, in his prime, had everything required of a centre-forward. A terrific shot with either foot, strength and accuracy with his head, the perfect physique, wonderful positional sense and a quickness off the mark that was unexpected in one of his build."

Wilf Mannion was another fan of Lawton: "I cannot recall any centre half who could keep him (Tommy Lawton) in check in his international days-I have seen little of him since and, for all I know, he may be as difficult to control as ever. Tall, powerful, agile and crafty, Tommy was the complete centre forward. He made goals; he scored them with monotonous regularity. With his head or with his feet, they came all the same to Lawton. If one man can do it, so can others. But they must put in the necessary work at practice and I am certain that Lawton was never a shirker in that respect else he would never have obtained the fame he did."

https://spartacus-educational.com/ARSENALlawton.htm

Last edited by Meazza84 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:47 am, edited 17 times in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm

In pictures He looks more 83 in jump and considering his header and BB He is already great in air with this combo.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:46 am

artemds wrote:
In pictures He looks more 83 in jump and considering his header and BB He is already great in air with this combo.

83 seems too low, maybe 89 would have been enough.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 am

Well that is what He shows in pictures ...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 am

Meazza84 wrote:
Actually, Dixie Dean has 94 for jumping. 4 points less than Dean isn't too much, I think. I'll give him a symbolic orange value, just as you suggested. BTW, are we sure that Dean was such a good jumper? He was 178 cm tall, 2 cm shorter than Lawton, not such a big difference, but a considerable one in jumping stats.

Who can really tell if Dean jumped higher or lower than Lawton? Or if Lawton was a overall better player than Dixie? :lol:

It's all up to interpretation and "reputation" according to these players, though I don't think Lawton is relatively well regarded as Dean, so a gap between them isn't scandalous.

artemds wrote:

Ah, i didn't really wanted to drop it that low because i would be 'harsh' on Tommy Lawton :lol: , but i'd favour an 83 aswell.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:46 am

Lawton had this misfortune to be in his peak during the World War II. An overall gap between them isn't scandalous of course, it's even desirable, but when it comes to aerial abilities Lawton is extremely well regarded as far as I can tell.

OK, let's go back to the yellows, but this time it will be 85.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:41 am

This guy had a better jump and is on 84, He is in air suspending at height of half of the body of his teammate.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Well maybe that guy should have more than 84? I mean, isn't this supposed to be an orange value? BTW he is much taller than Lawton, maybe that's why they gave him a lower value.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:16 pm

It's not easy to rate a jump. We have to look how high the player jumps, how tall he is and how tall the overjumped opponent is.
However the jump made by that player in the second photo posted by artemds seems quite impressive.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2