Consistency: 7
Growth Type: Standard Lasting

CARDS:
P04: Darting Player
S02: Passer

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Passing - Side

Attack / Defence Awareness Card: Attack-Minded

INFO:
Until the age of 18, being a professional football player was a remote possibility in the life of young Odirlei, who in those days worked as a carpenter. In 1970, he made some tests in the former club Britania and the following year was invited to play for Santa Quitéria, a second division team from Paraná. Odirlei was then sent to the extinct Esporte Clube Pinheiros to play as a left-wing. It was when coach Alex (former player of Botafogo de Ribeirão Preto) realized that Odirlei would unlock his full potential playing as a left-back. In 1975 he was loaned to Atlântico de Erechim do Rio Grande do Sul. On his return to Pinheiros, Odirlei was signed to Ponte Preta at a request of the coach Armando Renganeschi.

Playing for "Macaca", Odirlei became known by his teammates as "Bull", a nickname that gained strength due to his great physical imposition. According to an article signed by João Areosa in Placar magazine on November 25, 1977, Odirlei was defined as "The Bow and the Arrow". With devastating offensive attacks, his skills fitted like a glove in the scheme of coach Zé Duarte.

In the second match of the finals of the São Paulo championship in 1977, Odirlei received the yellow card at 45 minutes of the second half. It was a common move, as Odirlei himself remembers:

- "I don't remember very well. I know that the ball was about to leave the field and then I gave a kick. Some people say that the ball ended up in the stands, others say that it was just a little kick".

- For me, it was just a touch. But the referee Romualdo Arppi Filho didn't care about anything and said: You're screwed and you'll be out of the third game. I knelt down and begged, but it didn't do any good".

- "It seemed that everything was a dishonest arrangement. Jair Picerni (Ponte Preta's right-back) kicked the ball several times away from the playing field. But, unlike me, he wasn't in danger of a suspension".

With Odirlei out of the big decision, the Campinas team not only lost in offensive force. Ângelo, who replaced him, didn't have the same technical attributes, and this increased Corinthians' offensive power.

When asked about a regret, Odirlei has no question in his mind: Not having participated in the 1978 World Cup. On that occasion, he told the coach Claudio Coutinho that he could not travel to Argentina for problems in his marriage.

Odirlei was also runner-up on Paulistão in 1979 and 1981. He continued in Ponte Preta until 1982.

Sources:
https://m.futebolinterior.com.br/notici ... Brasileira
https://terceirotempo.uol.com.br/que-fi ... irlei-2416
https://tardesdepacaembu.wordpress.com/ ... o-odirlei/

Last edited by s+m4lf on Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:16 pm

To be honest I have never heard about this guy. But if he was as good as he is represented here, I would have heard about him for sure. Here's some advice: compare players that you create with others from that era. I mean, is it really possible that he was almost on par with Edstrom in terms of ATT? Btw, with these values, he'll be one of the best left backs in the world in that era. And I doubt that he was. And also bear in mind that written media always had tendencies to exaggerate with praises.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Milos wrote:
To be honest I have never heard about this guy. But if he was as good as he is represented here, I would have heard about him for sure. Here's some advice: compare players that you create with others from that era. I mean, is it really possible that he was almost on par with Edstrom in terms of ATT? Btw, with these values, he'll be one of the best left backs in the world in that era. And I doubt that he was. And also bear in mind that written media always had tendencies to exaggerate with praises.

I know, if I made the stats based on all the written media I read, I would set a lot of orange (maybe even red) values. I use then only as a "guide" of playing style.
And I don't think that there's a single skill overrated, he truly is one of the best left-backs of his generation, Ponte Preta loses the 1977 Paulistão just because of his (very suspicious) third card suspension. And he was called up to the national team in the 1978 World Cup (while playing for Ponte Preta, which is virtually impossible), he didn't were part of the team because some personal problems; all the Brazilian media says that we would win that Cup with him instead of Toninho.
And about the ATT, he was a very very offensive left-back, but you're right with your comparison with Edstrom. I'll low it to 82.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 pm

He joined the attack very often and the value of that is given by AGG, which is alright. On the other hand, since he was that much offensive, DEF could be on white. About ATT, don't forget that it represents how effective the player is in attack. Therefore, with an ATT value of a good player who covers an attacking position, you must be sure that everytime this side back joined the attack, something good for his team happened.
He head great physical conditions but that BAL still seems quite high. RES as well, rarely it's on yellow for side players, unless they were actually masters in recovering the ball.
Regarding HEA, if you didn't find anything special about this aspect, I would go down a bit.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 am

Interista93 wrote:
He joined the attack very often and the value of that is given by AGG, which is alright. On the other hand, since he was that much offensive, DEF could be on white. About ATT, don't forget that it represents how effective the player is in attack. Therefore, with an ATT value of a good player who covers an attacking position, you must be sure that everytime this side back joined the attack, something good for his team happened.
He head great physical conditions but that BAL still seems quite high. RES as well, rarely it's on yellow for side players, unless they were actually masters in recovering the ball.
Regarding HEA, if you didn't find anything special about this aspect, I would go down a bit.

He was very effective when attacking, with a lot of passes that created goal chances. He was one of the most important players of the team (second only to Dicá), I don't see 82 as a too high value. And his DEF, RES, and BAL are on point, as he used his very strong physique not only to run to the attack but to win the ball too (his nickname was "bull" not by accident).

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 am

Just compare him to any SB posted here. His stats make him look like an all-time great when in reality he didn't win a single cap for Brazil. He looks better than both Nilton and Djalma Santos, for example, and almost looks like if Cafu was also excellent at defending.

We no longer use old standards where any player who was good in an attribute automatically gets high yellows for it, and with yellow values in every single stat. He may have been strong and fast, but could he really outmuscle most strikers and centrebacks, and outspeed most wingers? Was he really more effective when attacking than Roberto Carlos and Junior, who both have 80 ATT? And was he really a better defender than Facchetti, who has both lower DEF and RES?

Also just look at any Konami set for a SB in any game, only the very top players in the world in their position would have stats like this. And you probably won't find many (if any) SBs with 82 ATT and 83 RES, or any 170cm tall players with 87 BB. You can accurately represent a player's strengths with low yellow values, without having to go completely overboard. Even for a defender, high green values put them above 90% of players in that position, and for such an attacking fullback, even having DEF in green puts them in the top 99%. They don't need 80+ in every relevant stat to be a good player.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:42 am

StuartBannigan wrote:
Just compare him to any SB posted here. His stats make him look like an all-time great when in reality he didn't win a single cap for Brazil. He looks better than both Nilton and Djalma Santos, for example, and almost looks like if Cafu was also excellent at defending.

We no longer use old standards where any player who was good in an attribute automatically gets high yellows for it, and with yellow values in every single stat. He may have been strong and fast, but could he really outmuscle most strikers and centrebacks, and outspeed most wingers? Was he really more effective when attacking than Roberto Carlos and Junior, who both have 80 ATT? And was he really a better defender than Facchetti, who has both lower DEF and RES?

Also just look at any Konami set for a SB in any game, only the very top players in the world in their position would have stats like this. And you probably won't find many (if any) SBs with 82 ATT and 83 RES, or any 170cm tall players with 87 BB. You can accurately represent a player's strengths with low yellow values, without having to go completely overboard. Even for a defender, high green values put them above 90% of players in that position, and for such an attacking fullback, even having DEF in green puts them in the top 99%. They don't need 80+ in every relevant stat to be a good player.

Yes, you're right, and I really appreciate this kind of feedback. Thanks!
I made some changes in the set, I'm waiting to hear from you; what can I change to make this most accurate as possible?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:54 am

https://footballia.net/players/ordilei-magno

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:40 am

MagicDip wrote:
https://footballia.net/players/ordilei-magno

Thanks! I'll take a look soon.
In the meantime, do you have any suggestions?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:55 am

Milos wrote:
To be honest I have never heard about this guy. But if he was as good as he is represented here, I would have heard about him for sure.

There are a lot of high rated players on the forum that I have never heard about, that doesn't mean they were not as good as how they are represented here.

StuartBannigan wrote:
He didn't win a single cap for Brazil.

Nenê ex-PSG was never called to the NT and is always rated as good as any player who was called a lot of times. That can be applied to others too.

About Odirlei, I watched him a long time ago in a match against Flamengo and I remember him as quite offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSF5qZSf_c

About the WC1978 I always thought Coutinho prefered more good defensive SB like Rodrigues Neto than players like Odirlei or Marinho Chagas, he even used Edinho improvised in that position. Anyway, I think Odirlei can join Falcão and Joãozinho in the team of the absences of that World Cup.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:59 am

77Catimba77 wrote:
Milos wrote:
To be honest I have never heard about this guy. But if he was as good as he is represented here, I would have heard about him for sure.

There are a lot of high rated players on the forum that I have never heard about, that doesn't mean they were not as good as how they are represented here.

StuartBannigan wrote:
He didn't win a single cap for Brazil.

Nenê ex-PSG was never called to the NT and is always rated as good as any player who was called a lot of times. That can be applied to others too.

About Odirlei, I watched him a long time ago in a match against Flamengo and I remember him as quite offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSF5qZSf_c

About the WC1978 I always thought Coutinho prefered more good defensive SB like Rodrigues Neto than players like Odirlei or Marinho Chagas, he even used Edinho improvised in that position. Anyway, I think Odirlei can join Falcão and Joãozinho in the team of the absences of that World Cup.

Eu sei que eles estão tentando ajudar e tal, eu errei mesmo em algumas habilidades, assim como o Stuart explicou, mas cansa isso de pensarem que só jogador europeu que presta. Pra um brasileiro ganhar alguma habilidade acima de 80 aqui, só ganhando copa do mundo ou jogando na europa.
Eu vejo um monte de jogadores aleatórios que eu nunca ouvi falar aqui no site (hungáros, sérvios, croatas, etc) que também deixam grandes craques no chinelo, mas eu não vejo ninguém falando que tem que abaixar tudo quanto é habilidade.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]