Champions (1): 1968–69

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Winners (1): 1998–99

UEFA Super Cup
Winners (1): 1999

Amsterdam Tournament:
Winners (1): 1999

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:29 pm

He won the Golden Boot because he plays in a mediocre Serie A where almost every contact in the box results in a penalty. Take away the penalty goals from Immobile and you see what he is: an average striker, nothing more..

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Take out the penalties and he's still scored almost double what Casiraghi scored for the club. Casiraghi wasn't really that good, he more or less had two good seasons for Lazio and even in his best one he barely reached a 1 in 2 scoring record. Of course he was better in other areas outside of scoring than Immobile but the difference in contribution is absolutely vast. Casiraghi was that guy that would score 10 goals in his best seasons and make up for his lack of scoring ability by running around a lot. Just because he played in a golden era for Serie A doesn't mean he was actually a very good striker. Guys like Casiraghi and Delvecchio weren't any different from strikers like Iaquinta and Quagliarella imo, maybe even worse.

Immobile has two (about) 40 goal seasons for Lazio now and even in his worst season he scored more than Casiraghi did in his best season. His form for the national team and outside of Serie A doesn't make him less of a great player for Lazio, he's an elite goalscorer when in the sky blue and a major reason they pushed Juventus so hard for most of the season. They've also both won a Coppa Italia so Casiraghi doesn't even have the advantage of silverware.

I also don't really understand the idea that his achievements count less because of Serie A not being as strong as before. I mean, Serie A was far from it's strongest when Manfredonia, D'Amico, Garlaschelli etc. were at their peaks in the late 70s/early 80s too.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:38 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Take out the penalties and he's still scored almost double what Casiraghi scored for the club. Casiraghi wasn't really that good, he more or less had two good seasons for Lazio and even in his best one he barely reached a 1 in 2 scoring record. Of course he was better in other areas outside of scoring than Immobile but the difference in contribution is absolutely vast. Casiraghi was that guy that would score 10 goals in his best seasons and make up for his lack of scoring ability by running around a lot. Just because he played in a golden era for Serie A doesn't mean he was actually a very good striker. Guys like Casiraghi and Delvecchio weren't any different from strikers like Iaquinta and Quagliarella imo, maybe even worse.

I didn't write a single word about Casiraghi but hey, who cares about that? I simply said that winning a golden boot in a mediocre league by scoring almost half of the goals with penalties is nothing extraordinary.
I personally use Salas anyway, far better player than Immobile/Casiraghi and more influential as well.

Quote:
Immobile has two (about) 40 goal seasons for Lazio now and even in his worst season he scored more than Casiraghi did in his best season. His form for the national team and outside of Serie A doesn't make him less of a great player for Lazio, he's an elite goalscorer when in the sky blue and a major reason they pushed Juventus so hard for most of the season. They've also both won a Coppa Italia so Casiraghi doesn't even have the advantage of silverware.

As I said above, he's "elite" in a league that fits his level.
And the reason why they "pushed" Juve is because Juve played their worst season in years, not because Lazio was extraordinary good.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm

Well I was talking about Casiraghi because he was who I suggested be replaced by Immobile. Really it doesn't matter how good Immobile is in comparison to other strikers in the world or in history, he only has to be better than anyone that's currently in the first team (where Casiraghi is the worst striker by a distance). Also, I see Serie A as currently on the same level as the Bundesliga with Napoli and Atalanta impressing in Europe equally as much as Dortmund and Leipzig. (only difference is the bottom teams in Italy are worse). And only S. Inzaghi, Nedved and Rocchi have scored more European goals for Lazio than Immobile.

I would also choose Salas over Casiraghi though. Maybe it would be best to see how Lazio do in the CL next season, and if Immobile impresses there and overtakes Piola as top scorer (which I think he will), IMO he would be the clear choice.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 pm

*Juan Sebastián VERÓN

100 penalty goals worth the same as 100 Van Basten-esque 1988 EC final goals.

BTW, it's interesting to note that the Capocannoniere hasn't been won by a Juventus player in the last 9 years.

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 am

What about Radu and Lulic??
I think both deserve in this team.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:49 am

I think that Immobile can earn a spot in the first team instead of Casiraghi. He's key player of the new generation that brought back Lazio in European competitions, and if he keeps scoring this way, he'll be their top scorer ever pretty soon. Also, Radu, Lulić, Milinković-Savić, Luiz Alberto and Acerbi can all earn a spot in reserves

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:49 am

SMS > Mauri for sure.

Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2