It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 148  Next
 Free Area 

This Thread is devoted to Off topic.

Use this topic to talk about everything, in order to avoid clogging the other threads..

Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, I thought it might have been because of the war, although it's surprising that they still had that golden era during the 50s despite the fact that most of the players grew up during the war, also it doesn't really explain why Austria never recovered while other countries did (even Poland, who were hit incredibly hard by the war)

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Well, just wiki the hell out of it :D

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Interista93 wrote:
StuartBannigan wrote:
Very impressive that Hungary had 8 teams in the top 10 at one point, also that Austria had 4 of the top 5 at one point too. Obviously the Hungarian league declined because of the Hungarian revolution and all their best players going abroad, but what happened in the late 50s in Austria that meant their teams massively declined? Was it just regressing back to normal after their two golden eras in the 30s and 50s?

Your question made me curious. I thought the reason could be linked with the war but I wasn't sure so I made a research. In fact Austria, just like other nations from near the Danubian river, had suffered the post-war. Austria refused to participate to the 1950 World Cup due to the injuries caused by the war and despite having reached the third place in the following one, this was the last year of the great Austria. The nation basically had incredibly great players before and during the war but never had other ones after the independence.

That's a joke right? What about Krankl? Pezzey? Prohaska? Konsel? Hasil? Polster? Alaba? Not even mentioning other players with international class like Fiala, Huberts (although his international career was cut short because he played abroad, same as Hasil), Herzog, Glechner, Koncilia or Sara..
The Austrian team from 1978 was surely a very good one that beat both Spain and Sweden and reached second round where they also beat our NT..
If you don't know Austrian football history, then please don't make up something that's far from reality :roll:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Interista93 wrote:
StuartBannigan wrote:
Very impressive that Hungary had 8 teams in the top 10 at one point, also that Austria had 4 of the top 5 at one point too. Obviously the Hungarian league declined because of the Hungarian revolution and all their best players going abroad, but what happened in the late 50s in Austria that meant their teams massively declined? Was it just regressing back to normal after their two golden eras in the 30s and 50s?

Your question made me curious. I thought the reason could be linked with the war but I wasn't sure so I made a research. In fact Austria, just like other nations from near the Danubian river, had suffered the post-war. Austria refused to participate to the 1950 World Cup due to the injuries caused by the war and despite having reached the third place in the following one, this was the last year of the great Austria. The nation basically had incredibly great players before and during the war but never had other ones after the independence.

That's a joke right? What about Krankl? Pezzey? Prohaska? Konsel? Hasil? Polster? Alaba? Not even mentioning other players with international class like Fiala, Huberts (although his international career was cut short because he played abroad, same as Hasil), Herzog, Glechner, Koncilia or Sara..
The Austrian team from 1978 was surely a very good one that beat both Spain and Sweden and reached second round where they also beat our NT..
If you don't know Austrian football history, then please don't make up something that's far from reality :roll:

Yes, but at national team level they never reached the heights of their golden era. I didn't express myself right. I know all those players for sure. Some of them played also in Italy and I even remember Konsel at Roma. They were all international greats but could never lead their national team really far other than in the 1978 and 1982 World Cups.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 pm

I said that when Madrid defeated Liverpool, lmao :mrgreen:

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Ramos wasn't on the pitch (what a smart move from him in the first match) but it seems Nacho is a worthy replacement 8-)

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:56 pm

What an incredible performance by Ajax, this team really has the potential to do something amazing, shame that they'll get taken apart in the next transfer window. Hard to believe that's the same Tadić that was an average player at Southampton only a year ago...

Maybe now people will realise just how important Ronaldo and Ramos were to Madrid's Champions League success ;) This Madrid team looks devoid of drive, incredible how complacent and entitled they are, as if they just expect the wins to come without even trying, Ramos's yellow card in the first leg being a perfect example of that.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
What an incredible performance by Ajax, this team really has the potential to do something amazing, shame that they'll get taken apart in the next transfer window. Hard to believe that's the same Tadić that was an average player at Southampton only a year ago...

Maybe now people will realise just how important Ronaldo and Ramos were to Madrid's Champions League success ;) This Madrid team looks devoid of drive, incredible how complacent and entitled they are, as if they just expect the wins to come without even trying, Ramos's yellow card in the first leg being a perfect example of that.

Yeah, and add also the fact that there's a chance players like Bale, Marcelo and Isco leave the club at the end of the season therefore their mind might be somewhere else.
By the way I'm happy for Ajax! If I'm not wrong they've been missing in the quarter-finals for quite some years.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Magical stuff from Tadić

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 pm

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/348-hist ... rated.html

lmao

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:13 am

If anyone wondered where i was on weekend :mrgreen:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/worl ... aduro.html

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am

It's seems kind odd for me see how Zidane is returning to Madrid's bench.
I'm sure that his departure from the club post UCL final was because he had issues with some players or at least it gives me that impresion.

Last edited by TheGreatRossonero on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:44 pm

I always thought he left because he had pretty much achieved everything he could and he saw the team going downhill (Ronaldo leaving, important players like Ramos, Marcelo and Modric starting to decline). From what I've read Perez is giving him complete control and confidence to completely overhaul the team, so I could see some huge changes happening this summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marcelo, Modric, Isco and Bale all leaving at the end of the season, maybe even Kroos and Benzema. One thing's for sure, I think Chelsea and PSG are going to be very nervous during the next transfer window :D

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Serie A is waiting for all of them :lol:

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 pm

The man couldn't had a sabbatical season :lol:

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 148  Next