P09 - Incisive Run
S01 - Marauding
S04 - PK Taker
S14 - Speed Merchant
S15 - Shoulder Feint Skills

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Reaction - Dribbling - Middle Shooting - Penalties

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:

One of the biggest Liverpool legends, such was Billy Liddell's influence on the club at the time that the team were affectionately known as "Liddellpool". A fast and powerful winger known for his rocket shot and gentlemanly conduct on and off the pitch, Liddell unfortunately had only one league trophy to show for his 15 year career spent entirely at Liverpool, won in his first season as a professional. He was admired by all for his dedication and loyalty, staying with the club despite their relegation, and playing until he was almost 40 despite being the only member of Liverpool's squad to be part time (he only trained 2 days a week). He never complained on the pitch despite regularly being the target of heavy fouling from opposition defenders, and was known as a tough but fair competitor. Liddell was also known for his great acceleration and powerful dribbling, often ploughing through two or three players on the way to goal, he was a real force of nature on the pitch. Goalkeepers feared his very powerful shot and headers (he once scored a header from outside the box). After Liverpool's relegation in 1954, Liddell moved permanently to centre forward and had his most prolific seasons there, but it wasn't enough to gain promotion. It basically summed up Liddell's time at Liverpool: individually brilliant, but never quite enough to stop the tides turning against the club. His efforts did not go unnoticed by the Kop, though, he was voted the 6th greatest Liverpool player of all time by the fans in 2006.

Last edited by StuartBannigan on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:42 pm

sb?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:49 pm

I read that in the 1948-49 season he played as a left back, it said that he also played in every other outfield position at some point, but since SB was the only position mentioned specifically I assumed he played it on at least a few occasions (his scoring record being lower that season was another hint) so I thought it would be fine to add it as an optional position.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
I read that in the 1948-49 season he played as a left back, it said that he also played in every other outfield position at some point, but since SB was the only position mentioned specifically I assumed he played it on at least a few occasions (his scoring record being lower that season was another hint) so I thought it would be fine to add it as an optional position.

probably that this position was DMF, left side, the left '' DMF '' was considered left side, as I see it. :)

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm

lutchi65 wrote:
StuartBannigan wrote:

probably that this position was DMF, left side, the left '' DMF '' was considered left side, as I see it. :)

Left-side DMF would have been more like Left-Half or Left-Wing. The SB position might have started existing in those years.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:03 pm

It seems like you could be right, although I've looked at the shirt numbers he used that season, and it looks like he only used 7, 9, 10 and 11 which are the four forward positions, so maybe it would be better to just take it out altogether...

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I'll take for granted that the British Islands already played the standard 3-2-5 formation of that era... Meaning that if he played on the 3-men defense, he should get CB by default, because that's what they were back in the end.

Of course that if he played on the left side of the "back-three", then he also is deservedly worthy of the SB role.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am

I'll just take it out to be honest, he played over 300 games in the 7 years covered in this set, and it's unlikely he played more than 2 or 3 of those games at "left back", whatever position they mean.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:20 am

Updated FKA from 76 to 81 and CUR from 72 to 75, found a bit more information describing him as good at free kicks, not only scoring from them but crossing from them too.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Updated.

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:10 pm

Marauding = Reaction on Special Abilities.
Spoiler: show

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 am

I read his weight was 13 st and 3 lbs which corresponds to 84 kg.
These additional info taken from articles and reports may help change some values if you want:
"He never gave up and continued pushing forward for the entire match, although he just stood on the halfway line when the opposing team had possession of the ball".
"Defenders didn't know what to do against his unpredictability. Liddell could go outside and send fantastic crosses, or cut inside and deliver one of his shots that goalkeepers were afraid of being hit with. In addition, he was a remarkably good set piece taker, given that he scored 34 penalties, a couple free kicks and even one goal from direct corner kick."

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]