CF VAN BASTEN

Captain: Franco Baresi | Gianni Rivera | Paolo Maldini
Short Free Kick: Gianni Rivera
Long Free Kick: Gianni Rivera | Nils Liedholm
Left Corner: Gianni Rivera | Nils Liedholm
Right Corner: Nils Liedholm | Gianni Rivera
Penalty: Gianni Rivera | Nils Liedholm | Franco Baresi

Honours

Serie A 18 1901, 1906, 1907, 1950–51, 1954–55, 1956–57, 1958–59, 1961–62, 1967–68, 1978–79, 1987–88, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04, 2010–11

Serie B 2 1980–81, 1982–83

Coppa Italia 5 1966–67, 1971–72, 1972–73, 1976–77, 2002–03

Supercoppa Italiana 7 1988, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2004, 2011, 2016

European Cup / UEFA Champions League 7 1962–63, 1968–69, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1993–94, 2002–03, 2006–07

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 2 1967–68, 1972–73

European Super Cup / UEFA Super Cup 5s 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2007

Intercontinental Cup 3s 1969, 1989, 1990

FIFA Club World Cup 1 2007

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
I know I’ll probably get dismissed, but Savicevic has no business being in this team, he wasn’t even a starter for 90% of his time at Milan and spent more time in the hospital or arguing with Capello than actually playing world class football. 90 league games in 6 years says it all really...

Gren and Kaka did way more for the club, Savicevic only has a fantastic goal against Barcelona and one great season (which he spent half of injured anyway). Ability alone is not enough to be in an all star team of a legendary club like Milan, besides, Gren was a far better player than him anyway.

So true lmao, how could i miss this! :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Bumping again the suggestion about Kaká to be included.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah
Green should be in first team

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Just bypass to talk about adding Kaka to the first team.
If he is added, who should be taken out from the first team?

Moreover, I wonder whether Gren is registered as forward as he register position seems to be AMF but not SS or WF.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:02 am

Boban is the only one that could be removed for Kaka, and to be honest, I definitely think Kaka should be there over him. Boban was there for 9 years but played less than 20 league games every season on average. Kaka was the best player in the world while he was at Milan and basically won the 2007 Champions League on his own. Boban was a great player but he, like Savicevic, wasn’t a consistent part of Milan’s success during that period.

On the other hand there’s 5 natural AMFs in the team plus Schiaffino who could easily play there, so maybe Gattuso would be a better option. Also Ambrosini should surely be in reserves, he played almost 500 games for Milan.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:51 am

ch1998523 wrote:
I wonder whether Gren is registered as forward as he register position seems to be AMF but not SS or WF.

He should actually have SS* as main position (inside forward).

StuartBannigan wrote:
Boban is the only one that could be removed for Kaka, and to be honest, I definitely think Kaka should be there over him. Boban was there for 9 years but played less than 20 league games every season on average. Kaka was the best player in the world while he was at Milan and basically won the 2007 Champions League on his own. Boban was a great player but he, like Savicevic, wasn’t a consistent part of Milan’s success during that period.

On the other hand there’s 5 natural AMFs in the team plus Schiaffino who could easily play there, so maybe Gattuso would be a better option. Also Ambrosini should surely be in reserves, he played almost 500 games for Milan.

Yes, Gattuso/Pirlo/Seedorf for Boban.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 am

I don't know how many of you agree but I think what has been said in the last posts is correct. Boban could be replaced by Seedorf since they played in the same position. No one would ever doubt Boban's class and legendary status but Seedorf won more than him and most important Seedorf played 432 matches, scored 62 goals, against the way less of Boban. I think this switch wouldn't be offensive.
An alternative to Seedorf would be indeed either Gattuso or Pirlo who won with Milan the same titles as Seedorf and played around the same amount of games. Them as alternatives would work in case we want to avoid the team to have too many attacking midfielders / secondary strikers.
Massimo Ambrosini absolutely needs to be in reserves.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

May I suggest Angelo Sormani :BRA: :ITA: to reserves? He is the RWF with most games at Milan.

Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Herbert Kilpin: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=12714

Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 am

I know this matter has been already debated in the past and I'm sure it's controversial, but I wouldn't keep Gunnar Gren in the first team. He's one of the greatest insides that Milan ever had and that it's nice to have him in the team alongside Liedholm and Nordahl. However, we should consider more factors. He spent only four seasons, winning just a Serie A title and a Latin Cup. I'd replace him with Andrea Pirlo or Clarence Seedorf. Don't get me wrong, this is not about who was better in terms of skills. Should it be really ignored that they both spent a decade at Milan, reaching 400 appearances and winning numerous trophies? And even if we consider only Serie A, since there were no Champions League and related tournaments when Gren was at Milan, Pirlo and Seedorf still have one more than him. And to be honest, I'd get both and replace also Zvonimir Boban who was a secondary choice in several of his Milan seasons. Kaká is another valid replacement for Boban. This way the team would have only five proper forwards, but since the best XI has two centre forwards and all the remaining strikers in the first team play or can play in said position, I believe that three alternatives would be more than enough.

About the reserves, isn't it possible to make a spot for Christian Abbiati? I'm fine even if he's not included, but he's the goalkeeper with most appearances for Milan and won some important titles playing a good number of matches in most of the related tournaments. Maybe Giovanni Galli can be out even though he won two Champions Leagues in his four year stint. After all, if Giuliano Sarti who achieved the same accomplishment with Inter isn't in Inter AS team, I believe the same can be done for Galli.
Luigi Radice should be replaced, possibly with Fulvio Collovati. Radice was a regular starter only in two seasons. The rest is just a bunch of matches in the other seasons. Collovati though was great at Milan as he made nearly 200 appearances and was part of the team that won the Serie A of the star in 1978-79. A possible addition to the defenders is, in my opinion, Ignazio Abate. I think he doesn't get the credit he deserves despite having played over 300 matches and winning a Serie A title other than two Italian Supercups.
I'm not too sure about Ruben Buriani in the AS team. Yes, he was an excellent midfielder and just like Collovati he won the 10th Serie A. On the other hand, Massimo Ambrosini is a must as he played almost 500 matches in nearly two decades and won numerous national and international titles. Alberto Bigon is another player who may deserve a spot. He spent nine years, playing over 300 games, scoring nearly 100 goals and was instrumental in the 1978-79 season.
It's strange that Marco Simone isn't here. If Oliver Bierhoff, Luciano Chiarugi and Dejan Savičević (I wouldn't keep him at all) are here, I don't see why Simone can't be here as well. Aren't 260 matches, 75 goals, Serie A title, Italian Supercup, Champions League, European Supercup and Intercontinental Cup, all won in multiple occasions, enough? And at this point even Zlatan Ibrahimović can be mentioned. He won a Serie A title in 2011, he left, came back and won another championship. Plus, he's close to 100 goals in less than 200 matches and that's probably going to increase as he just renewed his contract despite being 40 years old.

Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2