It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Manager All-star Squad 

Does anybody else think it'd be an interesting idea to do some Manager All-star Squads? Like José Mourinho or Carlo Ancelotti for example

Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm
Profile WWW

James9408 wrote:
Does anybody else think it'd be an interesting idea to do some Manager All-star Squads? Like José Mourinho or Carlo Ancelotti for example

I also thought about that since many successful managers are former players. But should the team have the best managers regardless of how good they were as players, or the best players who did well as managers?

Wed May 24, 2023 12:43 pm

I actually meant players who played under these managers.

E.g. Mourinho All-stars with a first XI like Čech, Terry, Carvalho, P.Ferreira, Gallas(?), Makélélé, Lampard, Sneijder, Eto'o, Drogba, Ronaldo

Although I like your idea too :D

Wed May 24, 2023 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

I like Interista's idea as well, just thought of Louis Van Gaal, Ranieri, Dick Advocaat etc :D

I guess ideally the first team can have the best by their player skill, while the reserves can fit eventually some of them who did well as managers, but weren't that good football players

Wed May 24, 2023 1:07 pm
Profile WWW

Good luck doing ONLY the Ancelotti's. :lol: :lol:

Here, I'll take in count appearances more than anything. Otherwise we'll likely get the same players all over the place (For example: Ronaldo under Ancelotti, Del Bosque, Capello, Robson, etc or Cristiano Ronaldo under Ferguson, Mourinho, Zidane, Allegro, Sarri, Ten Hag).

Wed May 24, 2023 1:51 pm

Interista93 wrote:
James9408 wrote:
I also thought about that since many successful managers are former players. But should the team have the best managers regardless of how good they were as players, or the best players who did well as managers?

1• Managerial career > Footballing career
2• A perceived equally successful managerial and footballing career, otherwise we'll get the same players all over the place just because they great players more than anything (Blanc, Maradona and Platini), this shouldn't apply to Goalkeepers as we have a relatively smaller pool of players to choose, eventually we'll need someone decent on goal).

Wed May 24, 2023 2:05 pm

El Capo wrote:
1• Managerial career > Footballing career
2• A perceived equally successful managerial and footballing career, otherwise we'll get the same players all over the place just because they great players more than anything (Blanc, Maradona and Platini), this shouldn't apply to Goalkeepers as we have a relatively smaller pool of players to choose, eventually we'll need someone decent on goal).

I would never pick Maradona and Platini though. The first accomplished nothing as manager, and the second was named Manager of the Year once in a very short coach career. Blanc would be a valid choice.

Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]