It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What REALLY is the criteria for National Team All-Stars? 

First of all, I need to make it clear: I don't intend to change anything with this topic. The main point is to make clear how the National Teams are made on this forum. IF you guys decide to change anything, then that's up to you.

I always felt like the selection of players for the NT stars in this forum is kinda weird compared to the rest of the internet. I know most of them weren't updated already, but the statement is true even for the most updated ones. From what I understand, the player's impact on the NT is the big criteria for him to be on the team, but it seems this criteria is not THAT important sometimes, but HUGE other times. I think the best way to see that is with Argentina and Brazil. Messi is widely regarded as one of the best players of all time, if not the best. He is at least a top 5 in almost anyone minds. But he wasn't on the first XI until he won the WC, meaning nothing of this really matter unless he could make a huge impact on the NT. Ok, but then why is a player like Edinho on the Brazilian squad when Lúcio and Aldair were WAY bigger for the NT? Why is Zico on the starting XI if he never won a WC, while Ronaldo is not despite playing in 4 WCs, winning two, and scoring twice in one of the finals. I know they're in different positions, but shouldn't we change the formation to have Ronaldo on the team then? Either way, making a Brazilian NT all-stars without Zico or Ronaldo on the starting XI is very weird. Those are no brainer players for anyone making their own version of the team. Zico and Ronaldo will be starters 99% of the time, but here is different. Can someone explain me how exactly things work here? And, whatever the answer is, why is it has to be like that?

Sat May 20, 2023 9:14 pm

Interista93 wrote:
This is true. But such criteria can be applied only to strong national teams with a long history. And don't forget those cases where players have bad form with clubs and great one with the national team, like Edu Vargas for example. We can't talk about "repeating club performances with the national team" for guys like him.
Guys like Edu Vargas are special cases and no-brainers. They usually deserve a spot. Strange btw not to see him included...
GamingPass wrote:
That is way is needed some formula to evaluate every single factor and have an average to rate
Searching for player ratings or reviews from any possible media could be considered a helpful measure.

Wed May 24, 2023 1:30 pm

FanisJK7 wrote:
Guys like Edu Vargas are special cases and no-brainers. They usually deserve a spot. Strange btw not to see him included...

Edu Vargas is in Chile All Stars.

GamingPass wrote:
Searching for player ratings or reviews from any possible media could be considered a helpful measure.

That's one of the things I do when working on an All Stars team. However, "journalists" and historians can sometimes be bias while others tend to ignore older football.

Wed May 24, 2023 1:34 pm

I could swear I didn't see him :P I'm sorry.
Yep. It's difficult since the most credible sources are newspapers or books, so you'll need help from a local guy. Anyway...

Wed May 24, 2023 8:25 pm

luti65 wrote:
well, i'm brazilian and i think brazil all stars is perfect, those players were iconic and eternal in their positions, i consider in my part, the players from 2010 until today, a failure in the national team, thiago silva can even be a better player, but he never showed me that in Brazil, so I think the Brazilian all stars team is perfect.

This post is not about Brazil. Brazil was just an example. As you said, the other players were more iconic to the NT even if Thiago Silva is a better player, but then why Edinho is there instead of Lúcio or Aldair who were much more iconic? I'm not trying to change the Brazil squad, I'm just trying to make an argument to point out the inconsistency in the players selections for NTs.

Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 am

jcklein wrote:
This post is not about Brazil. Brazil was just an example. As you said, the other players were more iconic to the NT even if Thiago Silva is a better player, but then why Edinho is there instead of Lúcio or Aldair who were much more iconic? I'm not trying to change the Brazil squad, I'm just trying to make an argument to point out the inconsistency in the players selections for NTs.

It's been already explained that All Star teams aren't about the most iconic or the most winning or the most skilled players.
As I said in my first post, I wouldn't mind Aldair instead of Edinho, but there must be a reason if Edinho is there instead.

Fri May 26, 2023 11:47 am

Interista93 wrote:
jcklein wrote:

It's been already explained that All Star teams aren't about the most iconic or the most winning or the most skilled players.
As I said in my first post, I wouldn't mind Aldair instead of Edinho, but there must be a reason if Edinho is there instead.

Yes that is the question, the biasis or way apply a criteria for a team and not the same criteria for another similar .
but It was already said.

Fri May 26, 2023 3:37 pm
Amministratore

Guys, a part some obvious big names, the rest of those teams are subjective so everyone has his own opinion.

Fri May 26, 2023 6:53 pm

27DONI72 wrote:
Guys, a part some obvious big names, the rest of those teams are subjective so everyone has his own opinion.

Well, yes. I understand that, and most of the time I can see why one player is preferred over the other and that's fine. That's why I think we should have a well defined criteria, so we can minimize the subjectiveness. Sometimes, though, some choices seems really weird for me. Let's talk about Edinho again: when I was making my own versions of the NT All-Stars teams, I did a research on some pages I consider trustful (including this one) to see which players were cited more often, and this forum is the ONLY place (from my sources) with Edinho on the first team. Of course, there's always the fact that some players are just less known worldwide than others, and we have a better research here, but that's not the case with Edinho. Brazilian players are very well known. It feels weird that a player that most people actually don't agree to put on the first team is preferred over others without a well defined criteria.

Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2