It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 European Championship 2021 

So guys, as for the big tournaments in 2014 and 2018 I think I open a thread to discuss the current European championship 2016 (don't know why we didn't have one in 2016 lol).

Italy vs. Turkey is a pretty interesting match for a start and one of the few games where I actually support the Italian NT :lol:

Regarding the favorites I think that France is of course the biggest one, the other big nations (England, Italy and of course us Germans) as well and the eternal "secret favorite" - Belgium (whose "Golden generation" will surely do everything to finally claim a title).
Hopefully there'll be surprises as well but tbh I can't predict who can pull of an "Island 2.0" this year ;)

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:23 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Horrible performance by Brych who clearly got influenced by the diving and crying of that Portuguese women on the pitch - hope that poor Bruno Fernandes didn't suffer major injuries today :lol:

Could we expect anything else from that idiot Brych?

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:12 pm

If Palhinha got a yellow card when he should have for pulling back Lukaku (I always enjoy seeing people trying to foul big Rom but just bouncing off his enormous body), then he wouldn't have made the tackle that injured De Bruyne. I just hope that him and Hazard are ok because Belgium are so much better with them on the pitch.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:20 pm

If Pogba played this well for his clubs then he would be the best midfielder of all time, lol.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm

A wise man once said: "Football, bloody hell!"

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 pm

Incredible stuff from Switzerland! Their mentality was just fantastic that whole game, so happy for them :D

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:50 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
If Pogba played this well for his clubs then he would be the best midfielder of all time, lol.

The way how he celebrated his (world class) goal and how he lost the ball before the third Swiss goal have shown very well (again), why he'll never be the best current midfielder in the world. It's good to see that arrogance like that (similar to Ronaldo's two "No-look-passes against us and Belgium) gets "punished".

Anyway, congratulations to our Southern neighbours, certainly a deserved victory in the end. And let's face it: That evening will remain in the history of Euro as probably the best ever evening with two of the most spectacular games in the history of the competion..

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:01 pm

Highlight of the day - behavior of Swiss players after missed penalty and 20 minutes later. It's like 11 different people appeared on the pitch.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:11 pm

Yeah it sucks to see Pogba make a mistake like that but he was still incredible almost the whole match, with the chances he created France should have been through easily. I don't see a problem with him doing that celebration, Möller did pretty much the same thing in 96, Cantona did it and everyone loved that. Him and Xhaka were phenomenal, the passing from both players was just fantastic.

And yes, two amazing matches. 14 goals in 2 games. Although I have to say that after this, it seems like Italy are the clear favourites now, although every team look easily beatable. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see something crazy like Denmark or Switzerland in the final.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:21 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Yeah it sucks to see Pogba make a mistake like that but he was still incredible almost the whole match, with the chances he created France should have been through easily. I don't see a problem with him doing that celebration, Möller did pretty much the same thing in 96, Cantona did it and everyone loved that. Him and Xhaka were phenomenal, the passing from both players was just fantastic.

Unlike the others, he ended up in the losing side like a jinxed clown, that's the small 'problem'. :mrgreen:

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:41 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:

I've hated Möller since my childhood, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I consider his "Gazza" celebration infront of the English fans as disrespectful despite beeing German. About Cantona: He did it when United were up 4:0 after 80 minutes in a PL match - not in such an important match like Pogba. Guess that Paul doesn't know much about the history of his own NT otherwise he would know that celebrating too early after a 3:1 lead can end pretty bad (Klaus Fischer and Horst Hrubesch say hello).

And as El Capo said, he did it and lost both the game and the ball before the 3:3. He deserves all praise for his performance but he has to live with criticism for his mistake and his arrogant behaviour as well. It's fine to me if the "Generation Fortnite" loves such celebrations but to me and probably many other fans they simply show disrespect towards the opponent.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 pm

Congratulations to England. It's no deserved victory (that's for sure, since they weren't better - both teams were average at maximum) but hey at least they actually won against us for the first time without the referee on their side.
Regarding our NT: It's like 8/5/1945. The end of an era, the war is lost - unfortunately this führer didn't have the balls to kill himself or at least leave the job fucking five years ago. Hopefully Kroos will retire as well, we certainly don't need players who walk on the pitch and play like an amateur for NT for five years as well now.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:58 pm

Müller was even worse than Kroos, at least Hummels justified being brought back into the national team.

Although I have to say, despite being Scottish, seeing Germany fans cry for years about their manager and team despite making the semi finals of every tournament for an entire decade and winning a World Cup, while England have had nothing but failures for over 50 years, makes it a lot easier to feel happy for England. At least this moment means something to their fans.

While I enjoy laughing at England, this generation of players are likeable, have no egos and just do their jobs without drama. I think English fans can be very proud of this team and I wish them good luck.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:23 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Müller was even worse than Kroos, at least Hummels justified being brought back into the national team.

Müller ran twice as much as his team mates, despite playing on the wrong position in the wrong system. If you seriously consider his tournament performance worse than Kroos, then I wonder what games you watched. Kroos can't bring any pass/free kick/corner to his team mates nowadays, even his brother Felix would have been better on that position.

Quote:
Although I have to say, despite being Scottish, seeing Germany fans cry for years about their manager and team despite making the semi finals of every tournament for an entire decade and winning a World Cup, while England have had nothing but failures for over 50 years, makes it a lot easier to feel happy for England. At least this moment means something to their fans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry but maybe our NT actually won so much titles and made so many finals/semi-finals because we Germans live to win, everything else is irrelevant. Third places are nice for a moment but you can't buy anything from that. Other NTs maybe consider defeats or playing nice football as a success but then it's no surprise that they don't win anything. That's why we and Italy have 8 WCs and 5 ECs together and that's also the reason why most other nations from Europe will never have similar success.

And if you can't understand why German fans are angry about the last five years where Löw destroyed out NT despite having numerous international players from top clubs, then you have even lower standards than I would expect from a Scottish football fan.
If a coach has such a pool of talents and players to choose from and ends up playing the wrong system with the wrong players again and again, then he has to live beeing blamed for that.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:40 pm

Of course Germany deserves their success over the years but you can hardly blame anyone for being happy to see them lose, lol. Germany are like the Real Madrid of international football, always going into every tournament expecting to win. It's simply enjoyable to watch them go out to a small team like South Korea, and then even more so against England, a team that Germany have looked down on and made fun of for 50 years now.

And yes, I understand why Germans are annoyed at their results from 2016 onwards. But it's also funny to see them basically become what England used to be. Yes, it'll probably change with Flick coming in but it's absolutely impossible for me to have any sympathy for Germany having 2 bad tournaments after like 70 years of almost completely consistent success. Just like I imagine everyone would laugh at Celtic for losing the league title after winning 9 in a row, it's just what happens when you're that successful.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Of course Germany deserves their success over the years but you can hardly blame anyone for being happy to see them lose, lol. Germany are like the Real Madrid of international football, always going into every tournament expecting to win. It's simply enjoyable to watch them go out to a small team like South Korea, and then even more so against England, a team that Germany have looked down on and made fun of for 50 years now.

Do you know what's funny? The only ones who laugh at us are the fans from countries that I targeted with my previous post. Countries that never won anything or one trophy at max. Shitholes in terms of football. But probably mocking opponents is the only thing that brings joy if your own country isn't able to do that. I'd say that winning trophies is more enjoyable, too bad that those people will never experience that ;)

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next