It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 "Lost" African All Stars 

LOST AFRICAN ALL STARS

A team dedicated to the players born in Africa that the continent has lost to Europe and beyond. Only players of an African ethnicity that were also born in Africa are included. This means that players such as Zidane that were born in France are ineligible, as are players like Gentile that were born in Africa but is Italian by blood. Players are also included from countries that did not exist at the time of their careers.

Coach: :CAP: Nuno ESPÍRITO SANTO

GOALKEEPERS:

:CDR: Steve MANDANDA
:CAP: NENO

DEFENDERS:

:CAM: Samuel UMTITI
:GHA: Marcel DESAILLY
:SEN: Patrice EVRA
:COT: Basile BOLI
:MOZ: VICENTE
:ALG: William AYACHE
:ALG: Marcel SALVA
:MOZ: HILÁRIO

MIDFIELDERS:

:SEN: Patrick VIEIRA
:MAL: Jean TIGANA
:CDR: Claude MAKÉLÉLÉ
:MOZ: Mário COLUNA
:CAP: OCEANO
:MOZ: SHÉU

STRIKERS:

:MOZ: EUSÉBIO
:MOZ: MATATEU
:ANG: Rui JORDÃO
:ANG: YAÚCA
:ANG: JACINTO JOÃO
:ALG: Emmanuel AZNAR
:SOU: Bill PERRY

RESERVES:

GOALKEEPERS:

:CAP: Nuno ESPÍRITO SANTO
:CAM: Yvon MVOGO

DEFENDERS:

:ALG: Abdelkader BEN BOUALI
:ANG: HÉLDER
:ANG: Fernando FREITAS
:CAM: Jean-Alain BOUMSONG
:CAP: Carlos ALHINHO
:CAR: Mapou YANGA-MBIWA
:COT: Johan DJOUROU
:MOZ: Abel XAVIER
:MOZ: RUI RODRIGUES
:SEN: Jean-Pierre ADAMS
:CDR: José BOSINGWA

MIDFIELDERS:

:ALG: Émile ZERMANI
:ALG: Omar SAHNOUN
:ANG: William CARVALHO
:ANG: Mário TORRES
:ANG: JOSÉ MARIA
:CAP: Gelson FERNANDES
:COT: Olivier KAPO
:GHA: George BOATENG
:GUB: DANILO Pereira
:SEN: Ibrahim BA
:SOU: Colin VILJOEN

STRIKERS:

:GHA: Gerald ASAMOAH
:CDR: Christian BENTEKE
:GUB: EDER
:LIB: Collins JOHN
:NIG: Emmanuel OLISADEBE
:CDR: Mbo MPENZA
:CDR: Blaise NKUFO
:CDR: Peguy LUYINDULA
:SEN: Amara SIMBA
:CAM: Breel EMBOLO
:ANG: Joaquim DINIS
:CAP: Gelson MARTINS

THE BEST EVER XI:

GK MANDANDA
CB VICENTE
CB DESAILLY
RB AYACHE
LB HILÁRIO
DMF MAKÉLÉLÉ
CMF TIGANA
CMF VIEIRA
AMF/CMF COLUNA ©
CF/SS EUSÉBIO
CF MATATEU

Captain: Mario Coluna | Marcel Desailly | Patrick Vieira
Short Free Kick: Eusébio
Long Free Kick: Mário Coluna
Left Corner: Mário Coluna
Right Corner: Mário Coluna
Penalty: Eusébio
Players to go up for set pieces: Desailly, Vieira

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:11 am

Small mistake. Hilario still has portuguese flag here.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:32 am

So the key here is: African players of african ethnicity that played for European teams and beyond?

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Yep, only players that played for or were called up to the national team, and were born and have ethnic roots in Africa. Because there were quite a lot of guys like Just Fontaine, Gentile and Christian Lopez that we’re born in North Africa but have no connections to Africa otherwise. I wanted to keep it somewhat limited which is why you see a quite large drop off in quality in the reserves.

Also, special shoutout to Rio Mavuba, who was born on a boat off the coast of Angola and therefore has “born at sea” on his birth certificate :D

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm

I'd personally replace Hilário for Evra, because if you are gonna play 4-3-1-2, you'll need energetic SBs that can go up and down constantly to provide an passing option that Hilário wouldn't simply make due to his more conservative defensive style.

Any defensive "deficiency" that Evra had, he can cover it with his pace and stamina + Vieira and Makélélé can effectively stay deep to provide defensive cover on the left flank.

Edit: You can add in your formation: Desailly and Vieira to go up at freekicks and corners.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:03 pm

What about José Aguas and Costa Pereira? After all they both spent at least 20 years of their life in Africa. Or did they miss out because they come from families with a colonial background?
Btw, now as I think about it, Emmanuel Aznar, Abdelkader Ben Bouali, Mario Zatelli, Émile Zermani and Jean Bastien could all be considered here.
And I wouldn't replace Hilario with Evra here, Hilario certainly wasn't inferior to Evra.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Eh, I mean even the top teams rarely use two attacking full backs and Ayache is already quite attacking, think of Abidal at Barcelona. Plus Vieira has Box to Box and Marauding cards, and high green AGG, so he’ll be pushing forward a lot. There’s so much stamina in that midfield that they can probably dominate the entire middle third of the pitch while still providing plenty of support in both the first third and final third.

Also IMO Hilário is just better than Evra, even in game (Hilário is always amazing for me, even though his stats aren’t extraordinary or anything).

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Yes, I didn’t count Aguas and Costa Pereira because their background is strictly Portuguese, they were African by birth only.

I missed Aznar, Ben Bouali and Zermani but were Bastien and Zatelli of African descent? I think Zatelli was an Italian who was born in Algeria and it’s hard to tell with Bastien. I used Transfermarkt to make this so I’m sure they’ve missed a few, their records have a few mistakes (listing Nani’s place of birth as Cape Verde, and listing Bamako as part of France, therefore putting Tigana’s country of birth as France).

I also left out the players that played for the FLN team like Zitouni and Ben Tifour.

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]