:ENG: Harry KANE
:ARG: Gonzalo HIGUAÍN
:CHI: Alexis SÁNCHEZ
:URU: Edinson CAVANI
:NET: Robin VAN PERSIE
:SPA: Diego COSTA
:FRA: Antoine GRIEZMANN
:CRO: Mario MANDŽUKIĆ

Last edited by StuartBannigan on Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 am

Any suggestions? Pretty sure I've probably forgotten a few players, even though I've reached the flag limit for one post :lol:

Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 am

I find insulting that Navas isn't named here :lol:

But then, the flags limit was reached, so Luis, deal with it :lol:

My biggest concern is the starting line up though.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 am

El Capo wrote:
I find insulting that Navas isn't named here :lol:

But then, the flags limit was reached, so Luis, deal with it :lol:

My biggest concern is the starting line up though.

Navas just missed out, mostly because he was only really world class for maybe four seasons in this decade. He’s won more than Lloris, but I couldn’t leave out a World Cup winning captain, same with Casillas. Besides, guys like Oblak, Julio Cesar and Ter Stegen have had higher peaks than Navas.

About the starting lineup, what would you change? The only positions I think are debatable are Chiellini, Modrić and Lewandowski, and possibly Iniesta. I rate Godín above Chiellini but he has certainly been less relevant over the entire decade, and Piqué has had massive dips in form. You could go for Kroos over Modrić (same titles with Madrid, but a World Champion on top), or Schweinsteiger, but I didn’t pick him because he was past his peak just halfway through this decade, same with Xavi. Ribéry and Robben would easily deserve to be starters but Messi and Ronaldo are indisputable in those positions.

Lewandowski and Suárez are basically a coin toss imo, either one would be the correct choice. I think there’s basically nothing to separate them, I just went with the one that I prefer.

Sat May 18, 2019 2:38 pm

I thought that having won twice the European Golden Boot in a decade where Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi often had scored +40 goals per season was enough reason for Suárez to forever bench Lewandowski in a 2010 all stars team, let alone others things.

The defense is fine to me, i miss that Ramos isn't on the left flank alongside Marcelo, but it's ok like it is i guess.

The midfield: despite being the first midfielder in years to win the Ballon D'Or, i certainly wouldn't start Modrić over Xavi, just a personal approach on how "significant" Xavi was.

EDIT

De Gea :mrgreen:

Sat May 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Sure, updated the starting XI with Xavi and Suarez instead of Modric and Lewandowski.

El Capo wrote:
De Gea :mrgreen:

I knew that somebody would comment on this because De Gea isn't very "popular" or whatever, but he's consistently been the 2nd best goalkeeper this decade, and arguably the best player in England throughout that time (with Silva and Hazard). It's understandable that anyone who's only watched De Gea play for Spain would have a low opinion of him, but anyone that's watched United play over the last 7 years or so would know how absolutely fantastic a goalkeeper he is. IMO, nobody else has a claim for first team over him.

Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Suarez? Put Messi on the center and Robben on the right wing..
I better don't say anything about Ramos ahead of Godin and Hummels (not even mentioning left footed Chiello as right CB or Pepe in first team instead of Barza), this is just laughable. Godin and Hummels were both better defenders over this decade (especially when it comes to actual defending and not fucking up their defence by going on Rambo trips upfront), one of them has to be there instead of Ramos..
Edit: It says a lot that Gabi isn't in reserves but instead we have Casemiro and Sneijder there (who basically quit professional football in 2013 after going to Turkey).

Sat May 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes, Chiellini was fine as LCB, i've mentioned that Ramos usually has been placed as LCB on this decade, but alongside Pepe, Varane, Nacho, R. Carvalho, Albiol, Piqué and many others as RCB, the swap was unneeded as i previously said.

Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Ramos is not leaving the starting XI, absolutely no chance. He's captained Madrid to three successive CL titles, and was a very important part of another CL title, a World Cup and a Euro win. Who cares if Hummels or Godin are better at defending? Ramos is a better player than both of them. Beckenbauer was worse at defending than someone like Kohler but is obviously in front of him in Germany All Stars, it's exactly the same with Ramos here. He's the absolutely most important defender of the decade. It's not 1950 any more, football has moved on.

Sneijder is in reserves because 2010 is still part of this decade, I felt it was unfair for a treble winning team this decade to have absolutely zero representatives, plus he was also the best player with Robben of a World Cup finalist. Anyone that has a claim to win the Ballon d'Or this decade deserves at least reserves. Casemiro has again been an extremely important player in a team that won 3 CL titles in a row, without him they probably win 0 titles. Gabi can go in reserves, but I'd rather take Mandzukic out to fit him in. But anyway, updated the starting XI...

Sat May 18, 2019 5:04 pm

The thing is that the flags limit has been reached, otherwise there are like at least +10 players needed here (i'd name some: Keylor Navas, Marco Reus, Edin Dzeko, Marc-André ter Stegen, Koke, Mohamed Salah, Kylian Mbappé, Jan Vertonghen, Claudio Bravo, Virgil van Dijk, Filipe Luíz, Handanovic, etc..)

Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

El Capo wrote:
The thing is that the flags limit has been reached, otherwise there are like at least +10 players needed here (i'd name some: Keylor Navas, Marco Reus, Edin Dzeko, Marc-André ter Stegen, Koke, Mohamed Salah, Kylian Mbappé, Jan Vertonghen, Claudio Bravo, Virgil van Dijk, Filipe Luíz, Handanovic, etc..)

Yeah, that's the problem, I originally had Gabi, Filipe Luis, Reus and Kante all in reserves too, but somebody had to miss out...

Sat May 18, 2019 5:49 pm

I know that it'll look less "visually appealing", but imo you should simply remove the flags and bold the players name in order to have all the players that deserve to be named. :mrgreen:

Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Ramos is not leaving the starting XI, absolutely no chance. He's captained Madrid to three successive CL titles, and was a very important part of another CL title, a World Cup and a Euro win. Who cares if Hummels or Godin are better at defending? Ramos is a better player than both of them. Beckenbauer was worse at defending than someone like Kohler but is obviously in front of him in Germany All Stars, it's exactly the same with Ramos here. He's the absolutely most important defender of the decade. It's not 1950 any more, football has moved on.

Sneijder is in reserves because 2010 is still part of this decade, I felt it was unfair for a treble winning team this decade to have absolutely zero representatives, plus he was also the best player with Robben of a World Cup finalist. Anyone that has a claim to win the Ballon d'Or this decade deserves at least reserves. Casemiro has again been an extremely important player in a team that won 3 CL titles in a row, without him they probably win 0 titles. Gabi can go in reserves, but I'd rather take Mandzukic out to fit him in. But anyway, updated the starting XI...

Wow, so much bullshit in one post. Real would have easily won those titles with any other DMF behind Kroos (far better than both Xavi and Busquets in the 2010s btw :roll: ) and Modric, he was certainly the player with the lowest impact on those titles (god even Carvajal was more important)..
Godin was by far the best defender in the world during the 2010s and the backbone of the Atletico side that reached both national and international success and finally ended the dualism of Barca and Real. His absence from best XI is an just disrespectful to all those years of constant performances but it seems that stuff like that isn't relevant here.

Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Godin was by far the best defender in the world during the 2010s and the backbone of the Atletico side that reached both national and international success and finally ended the dualism of Barca and Real. His absence from best XI is an just disrespectful to all those years of constant performances but it seems that stuff like that isn't relevant here.

Let me reword that for you:

Quote:
Ramos was by far the best defender in the world during the 2010s and the backbone of the Real Madrid side that reached both national and international success. His absence from best XI is an just disrespectful to all those years of constant performances but it seems that stuff like that isn't relevant here.

The thing about Modric and Kroos isn't even worth a response tbh. Busquets has been the most consistently brilliant midfielder of the 2010s, Kroos was a liability for Madrid before Casemiro started playing, and has since returned to being a liability for both club and country. Modric is more complete than Kroos and his absence is a lot more noticeable, the only thing Kroos offers more than him is deliveries from set pieces (which were important, to be fair). If you want, though, I could just remove all those Spain and Real Madrid players that dominated the decade, and just fill it with Bayern and Germany players...

Sat May 18, 2019 6:51 pm

Where did Spanish NT dominate this decade? Spanish NT was a complete joke after 2012, their shitty NT was raped by the Dutch in 2014 and then delivered average performances in 2016 and 2018 as well. Just in case you don't know but a decade consists of ten years, not of two :roll:
French NT has shown much more consistency since 2014 (with a strong WC back then, an undeserved loss in the final 2016 and the WC in 2018) and will certainly archieve a better place in EC 2020 than Spain. By your "criterias" there should apparently be a player from that team here: but who are the only two Frenchmen in first team? Ribéry and Benzema :roll:
Maybe you should actually follow your own criterias instead of setting up some Barca/Real fanboy team..

Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next