It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Uruguay All Stars 

Team created by a collaborative effort of 27DONI72, Milos, StuartBannigan and gurkenjoe93

URUGUAY ALL STARS

Honours:

FIFA World Cup

Winners (2): 1930, 1950
Fourth place (3): 1954, 1970, 2010

FIFA Confederations Cup

Fourth place (2): 1997, 2013

Copa América

Winners (15): 1916, 1917, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1935, 1942, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1983, 1987, 1995, 2011
Runners-up (6): 1919, 1927, 1939, 1941, 1989, 1999
Third place (8): 1921, 1922, 1929, 1937, 1947, 1953, 1957, 2004
Fourth place (6): 1945, 1946, 1955, 1975, 2001, 2007

COACH: Óscar TABÁREZ

The best ever Uruguayan players 23-man squad

GOALKEEPERS:

Roque MÁSPOLI
Ladislao MAZURKIEWICZ

DEFENDERS:

José NASAZZI
Víctor RODRÍGUEZ ANDRADE
Schubert GAMBETTA
William MARTÍNEZ
José SANTAMARÍA
Paolo MONTERO
Diego GODÍN

MIDFIELDERS:

Ángel ROMANO
José Leandro ANDRADE
Álvaro GESTIDO
Obdulio VARELA
Juan Alberto SCHIAFFINO
Pedro ROCHA
Enzo FRANCESCOLI

FORWARDS:

Héctor SCARONE
Pedro PETRONE
Oscar MÍGUEZ
Alcides GHIGGIA
Julio ABBADIE
Diego FORLÁN
Luis SUÁREZ

RESERVES:

GOALKEEPERS:

● Cayetano SAPORITI
Andrés MAZZALI
Rodolfo RODRÍGUEZ

DEFENDERS:

Alfredo FOGLINO
Ernesto MASCHERONI
Eusebio TEJERA
● Matías GONZÁLEZ
Juan MUJICA
Darío PEREYRA
Hugo DE LEÓN
Diego LUGANO
● Maxi PEREIRA
● Álvaro PEREIRA

MIDFIELDERS:

Lorenzo FERNÁNDEZ
Julio PÉREZ
Javier AMBROIS
Néstor GONÇALVES
Luis CUBILLA
● Julio CÉSAR CORTÉS
Julio MONTERO CASTILLO
Rubén PAZ
Pablo BENGOECHEA
● Diego PÉREZ

FORWARDS:

José PIENDIBENE
Isabelino GRADÍN
Santos URDINARÁN
Pedro CEA
Héctor CASTRO
Severino VARELA
Carlos BORGES
Fernando MORENA
Rubén SOSA
Edinson CAVANI

THE BEST EVER XI

GK MAZURKIEWICZ
CB NASAZZI
CB SANTAMARÍA
RB ANDRADE
LB RODRÍGUEZ ANDRADE
DMF VARELA ©
AMF FRANCESCOLI
AMF SCHIAFFINO
RWF GHIGGIA
SS SCARONE
CF PETRONE

Captain: Obdulio Varela | José Nasazzi | Enzo Francescoli
Short Free Kick: Enzo Francescoli | Juan Alberto Schiaffino
Long Free Kick: Juan Alberto Schiaffino | Enzo Francescoli
Right Corner: Juan Alberto Schiaffino | Enzo Francescoli
Left Corner: Juan Alberto Schiaffino | Enzo Francescoli
Penalty: Héctor Scarone | Enzo Francescoli

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I don't think Cavani is that good to be named here (despite the heavy vintage this NT possess).

Uruguay never mounted a genuine opportunity to win the World Cup since like 1954, if Cavani finally delivers some awesome performances in the last 3 games (very hard now, due to his recent injury), i'll strongly support his inclusion in the 23-men squad.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm

I’d wait until the tournament ends, although I do think Godin already deserves a place over Ancheta. One thing though, isn’t Luís Cubilla considered one of Uruguay’s best players? I would have expected him to be in the first team here...

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Updated.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:11 am

Don't you think Victor Esparrago deserves a place in this selection?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Arevalo Rios could easily get the nod as well

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 am

Maybe the Uruguay AS should be reviewed in order to fulfill all positions on the field.

I just realize that this team doesn't have any sideback of origin and has two right wingers and no left winger.

Maybe make a formatiom with three center-back can solve it partially.

Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Amministratore

Bola Clássica wrote:
Maybe the Uruguay AS should be reviewed in order to fulfill all positions on the field.

I just realize that this team doesn't have any sideback of origin and has two right wingers and no left winger.

Uruguay always played with 4 defenders in his history. Josè Leandro Andrade was something like Dani Alves even if often he is registered as a defensive midfielders but this is wrong because he played on the side, yes he could also play as modern mezzala but just because he was amazing and all around player, his main position in modern football would be side-backs, same for Victor Andrade, Gambetta, Attilio Ferraris and all those players who played as lateral mediano in Metodo.

It's a common wrong "football traduction" from Metodo positions to modern ones:
Metodo fullbacks (Rosetta, Nasazzi, Rava, ecc.) -> CB
Metodo lateral mediano (those named before) -> RB-LB
Metodo central mediano (Monti, Andreolo, Fernandez, Smistik, ecc.) -> DM
Metodo mezzala (Scarone, Meazza, Ferrari, ecc.) -> AMF/SS

You should think about Metodo like a modern 4-3-3 more or less. A lot of players of this era are wrong con Pes forums because of this wrong traduction position.

Sorry for my english but I hope it's clear ;)

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:19 am

27DONI72 wrote:
Bola Clássica wrote:

Uruguay always played with 4 defenders in his history. Josè Leandro Andrade was something like Dani Alves even if often he is registered as a defensive midfielders but this is wrong because he played on the side, yes he could also play as modern mezzala but just because he was amazing and all around player, his main position in modern football would be side-backs, same for Victor Andrade, Gambetta, Attilio Ferraris and all those players who played as lateral mediano in Metodo.

It's a common wrong "football traduction" from Metodo positions to modern ones:
Metodo fullbacks (Rosetta, Nasazzi, Rava, ecc.) -> CB
Metodo lateral mediano (those named before) -> RB-LB
Metodo central mediano (Monti, Andreolo, Fernandez, Smistik, ecc.) -> DM
Metodo mezzala (Scarone, Meazza, Ferrari, ecc.) -> AMF/SS

You should think about Metodo like a modern 4-3-3 more or less. A lot of players of this era are wrong con Pes forums because of this wrong traduction position.

Sorry for my english but I hope it's clear ;)

Yes. This discussion regarding past formations and their nowadays equivalences is always interesting.

The old tatics, as the 2-3-5 and the following WM and MM varied a lot according to the country, mainly regarding the style of play. Before football gloabalization we used to see more differences than now (at least, the differences took longer)

For example, in South America football, Uruguay and Argentina developed the short pass instead of long passes before Brazil. The powerfull Uruguay National Team (Olympic champions) used to be compared to a kind of chess game in Brazil.

I thought that in 50 final, Uruguay and Brazil used to play a mix of 2-3-5 and WM. but I wasnt sure about Uruguay (you mentioned they played with 4 defender, so they played with a 4-2-4?).

In Brazil, Bigode were the third man on the left defense or on the left midfield? Thats is something nobody answer here. Augusto on the right for example was never considered a midfielder, so he could only be a center back (being 2 on the defense) or a right back (being 3 on the defense). I believe the left side was frequently used more advanced. This way it explain what some people call in Brazil the diagonals formations.

I had this little debate with Interista when I put Hermogenes of America AS as a right back instead of midfielder.

Well, I think those position only get more clear when the fourth defender (the second center-back) finally appears but others discussion still remains. For example, I heard many people calling the old position inside forward as an attacking midfielder and many people calling than as an second striker. I guess it depends a bit on the players caractheristics.

I know a bit when those changes happened in Brazil but it is very tough for me to say about others countries, as Uruguay.

Anyway, thanks for your response, this discuss is always great to have with people from other nations.Our perspectives changes a lot.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Amministratore

In 1950 Uruguay played Metodo like in 1930 so something like a 4-3-3 (two mezzale were more offensive in 1930 for sure). Brazil played Diagonal, that was the conjunction between Sistema and 4-2-4, Bigode was a side-back, he marked the right-wing but of course he was a little bit more offensive the right-back, Augusto marked center-forward. Defensive midfielders and Mezzale played in diagonal, one DM was pure defensive (and later went back to defense and create a 4 line) and the other one was a playmaker. One AM was an offensive playmaker and the other one was a second striker or "punta de lança". Two wings, the left one was usually more offensive.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:57 pm

Very interesting explanation about the old tatics, a little bit different than what I already read, but looks indeed more detailed and makes totally sense. It is a different view though. I particulary never considered a 4-3-3 talking about old times but I understood that you see a similar distribution on the field but convertimg it differentely for nowadays.

Maybe the tatical names are a little bit different than we have here in Brazil too. Considering Brazil is going bad tactically over the last years, maybe an italian view about the past is more studied, being more accurated.

Anyway, would be nice to have a post about this topic here in the forum.

Brazil has some interesting changes on the past regarding tatics, we could discuss it. Ayrton Moreira's Cruzeiro, Brazil 58 (Vicente Feola) and Brazil 70 (Zagallo) are good examples.

Also, it would be nice to see those explanations inside the players stats, adding the side back position for those you mentioned.

Anyway, the two right wingers and no left winger is something that could be here or is it covered somehow?

Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

Bola Clássica wrote:
Anyway, the two right wingers and no left winger is something that could be here or is it covered somehow?

There's Romano who played on various positions and was Uruguay's LWF in their 1924 gold medal wining squad and you have Forlan who can cover that position. Seems enough to me if we consider that the formation is without a left winger.

Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2