P02 - Anchor man
P12 - Enforcer
S07 - Man Marking
S08 - Slide Tackle
S09 - Covering

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Centre - Marking - Sliding - Covering

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence minded

INFO:

The pre-war heroes are often forgotten but it was these players that made Rangers Football Club what it is today. One legend from that defender David Meiklejohn. Born in Govan in 1900 he signed for Rangers from Maryhill Juniors in 1919 he enjoyed a long and successful 18 year career winning 12 league titles and 5 Scottish Cups.

“Meek” scored the winner in the 1928 Scottish Cup final to end a 25 year hoodoo and Rangers lifted the famous trophy in front of a then record crowd of 118,115 Rangers and Celtic fans. Meiklejohn captained the side that day in the absence of regular captain Tommy Muirhead. On the 55th minute Celtic captain Willie McStay punched the ball off the line and Rangers were awarded a penalty, under enormous pressure Meiklejohn took responsibility and lead by example firing home into the bottom corner of the net! Rangers ended up winning the game 4-0 but many players who played that day say they would have lost if Meiklejohn missed the penalty.

Davie Meiklejohn was born to captain Rangers, he was just one of a long line of great captains and was one of legendary manager Bill Struth's “gaffers on the park” as they were known. Meiklejohn was a highly important member of highly successful Rangers teams of the 1920's and 30's. Willie Thornton, a Rangers legend in his own right called Meiklejohn “the greatest played I ever saw”.

Meiklejohn played 563 games for Rangers scoring 46 goals. He was capped 15 times for Scotland, a large number in those days, and played and captained the side in the famous 2-0 victory over the Auld Enemy in 1931 when the Scots were given no chance by anyone because England had the famous Dixie Dean. Dean played up front but Meiklejohn marked him out of the game and Scotland celebrated.

Meiklejohn retired at the end of the 1935/36 season initially moving into journalism with the Daily Record but when the chance of managing Partick Thistle came up in 1947 he took it. Sadly David Meiklejohn passed away on the 22nd of August 1959 when he collapsed in the directors box of Bloomfield after Thistle's game with Airdrie. He was aged just 58. Over 2,000 mourners attended his funeral at Craigton cemetery near Ibrox.

Former teammate Alan Morton said “No cause was ever lost when Davie was behind you. He will go down in history as one of the greatest Rangers to wear the colours” David Meiklejohn was truly a legend of Rangers Football Club.

Tue May 06, 2014 8:52 pm

you missed the colors :lol:

Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 pm

yes...i ask the help to a moderator also for correct if there is something of wrong

Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 pm

i will say as max 88-87 in STA

Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm

i've read in some website that has been one of the best dmf of british pre war era, i've seen that some players like pesek, monti and other have much STA....for this. but you can correct how you want :)

Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Updated, some values were simply overkill. I've lowered Pešek's STA on 91. Anyway no videos here, so from what I've read, nowhere is mentioned some great stamina or passing range, or in general some great attacking movements..

He was central defender just because of tactics at the time played in front of 2 side backs, although he played also as one of two half wing backs, not always centre half..

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:27 am

There's some quotes here about him that mention him as a very good passer: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WCE ... ss&f=false

"And Meiklejohn could pass the ball like nobody else".
"And as with so many of the best Rangers moves of the era, it started with a Davie Meiklejohn pass".

It also mentions that he was excellent at noticing weaknesses in the opposition and telling his teammates to exploit them, like a conductor on the pitch, basically, he was the link between the manager and the players (for example, he'd notice opposition defenders weren't good in the air, so he'd instruct the striker to get close to him and start hitting more long balls forward). I read he was also the team's main playmaker. I think his TMW could go up by quite a few points.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]