Growth type: Standard

CARDS:
S07 - Man Marking
S08 - Slide Tackle
S09 - Covering

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Sliding - Covering - Marking

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence Minded

INFO:

Ivan "Ivica" Horvat (born 16 July 1926 in Sisak) is a former Croatian professional football player and manager who played for Yugoslavia. In 2004, he received the Croatian Olympic Committee's Matija Ljubek Award. Horvat played from 1945 until 1957 for Dinamo Zagreb. 1957 he moved to Germany to Eintracht Frankfurt, where he stayed until the end of his career.

In the Yugoslavia national team Horvat appeared from 1946 until 1956 in 60 fixtures. He took part in the World Cup in 1950 and 1954. He also played with the Yugoslav team at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki and won the silver medal. In the final Yugoslavia lost to the rising star of the 1950s, Hungary.

In the quarterfinals of the 1954 World Cup the Plavi lost due to an own goal from Horvat with 0-1. This goal was scored in the 10th minute and remained the fastest own goal in World Cup history until 2006 the Paraguayan Carlos Gamarra hit between his own posts against England after three minutes.

From 1961 until 1979 Horvat worked as manager, in the beginning as assistant at Eintracht Frankfurt and became successor of the manager legend Paul Oßwald in 1964. But Frankfurt could not convince in the Bundesliga and Horvat was sacked in 1965. His was succeeded by Elek Schwartz.

With Dinamo Zagreb he won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, the predecessor of the UEFA Cup, in 1967 with Branko Zebec as coequal assistant in the final matches against Leeds United (2-0, 0-0). From 1971 he worked in the Bundesliga again, this time for FC Schalke 04, winning the DFB-Pokal in 1972 and becoming runner-up in the league. In 1975 Horvat moved to Rot-Weiss Essen, he stayed there until September 1976.

In the beginning of the 1978-1979 Horvat returned to Schalke but due to the team's bad performances and an embarrassing derby loss against Bochum he was fired in March. Thereupon Horvat finished his managing career.

Honours as a player

* Yugoslav champion: 1948, 1954, 1958
* Yugoslav Cup: 1951
* German champion: 1959

* Silver medal Olympic Games: 1952

Honours as a manager

* Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1967
* DFB-Pokal 1972

Quote:
Ostao je u uspomenama kao igrač koji se na terenu uvijek borio kao lav, bio je borac bez kompromisa, uvijek do krajnosti požrtvovan, oštar i hrabar, ali uvijek fer. Nenadmašan u igri glavom, onako dugonog, iako naizgled spor, uvijek je stizao dominirati u kaznenom prostoru.

Quote:
Ivica Horvat je uz nogomet igrao veliki rukomet te bio atletičar u HŠK Concordiji. Trčao je 110m prepone, skako je u dalj (6,70 m) i u vis (190 cm). U skoku u vis dvaput je bio prvak Hrvatske. Bio je najsvestraniji hrvatski vrhunski nogometaš. Počeo je igrati nogomet na poziciji središnjeg napadača, a svjetsku slavu je stekao kao središnji branič. Na prvenstvenoj utakmici Dinamo – Lokomotiva 1951. godine bio je i vratar, obranio je jedanaesterac kojeg je izveo Andročec. Sjajan u skoku, odličan u čuvanju protivničkih napadača, precizan u proigravanju, tehnički na visokoj razini, najčešće je nastupao na položaju centarhalfa, a uspješno je igrao braniča i desno krilo. Bio je gotovo neprelazan. Ivica Horvat je bio profesionalac od glave do pete. Odličan igrač, imao je udarac s obje noge, a glavom je igrao savršeno. Uvijek je bio borben, ali volio je nadigravanje, nije bio od onih koji su napucavali loptu. Imao je izražen momčadski duh, suigrači su ga voljeli i uvažavali i kao nogometaša i kao osobu.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]