Growth type: Early Peak

CARDS:
P02 - Anchor Man
P12 - Enforcer
S09 - Covering

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Covering

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence Minded

INFO:

Neale Cooper was the youngest member of Alex Ferguson's European Cup Winners Cup winning Aberdeen team, aged only 19 when he played in the final. Originally a defender, he was transitioned into a holding midfielder due to the presence of Willie Miller and Alex McLeish at central defence. Instantly recognisable for his blonde curls, Cooper was a physical, aggressive ball winner known for his fighting spirit and hard tackling. Sitting deep in front of the back 4, he covered for when right back Stuart Kennedy and midfield partner Neil Simpson charged forward. Unfortunately his technical ability was as limited as you might expect from a defender playing in midfield, although he did score the last goal in the 1982 Scottish Cup final in a famous 4-1 victory over Rangers. After leaving Aberdeen in 1986 to join Aston Villa, he suffered from a horrible series of injuries, barely playing for the next 5 years, until a small career revival at Dunfermline in the early 90s.

Since retiring, Cooper became a manager, leading Ross County to two promotions before joining Hartlepool and taking them to their highest ever league finish. He tragically died in 2018 at the age of 54 after falling down a flight of stairs. Hartlepool unveiled the Neale Cooper Stand later that year in his honour.

Last edited by StuartBannigan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm

You can't be an anchor man or "sitting deep in front of the back 4" when you have a value past 70 in AGG, or the Awareness Card set on Balanced.
http://pesdb.net/pes2011/index.php?filt ... on&order=d
It's simply contradictory, it's like adding Incisive Run and Mazing Run to Valderrama.

Also his technical abilities seem overrated (as even you wrote in his info), these guys playing at British Football, specially defensive players like him, were not exactly know for been technicals or confortable as DA 76 and TEC 78 implies, that's almost around Lúcio level.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Well to be honest, I don't play PES 2011, so I have no idea how most of those things work, I just try and make an educated guess to what would probably suit best. Cooper played very deep when the opposition had the ball, almost like another defender sometimes, but when Aberdeen had the ball, he would sometimes go forward into the opposition's half. His only job was to break up opposition attacks, but he wasn't completely useless on the attacking side, that's why I gave him Anchor Man and the over 70 AGG. He wasn't really a box-to-box player, he was something in between that and true destroyer like Makélélé that would never cross the halfway line. I've also seen him play as a left back, and while playing there he had some pretty decent attacking abilities.

Quote:
Also his technical abilities seem overrated (as even you wrote in his info), these guys playing at British Football, specially defensive players like him, were not exactly know for been technicals or confortable as DA 76 and TEC 78 implies, that's almost around Lúcio level.

I don't think that's necessarily true, it's a bit of a cliché that British footballers are technically poor, I don't think the defensive players are worse in that regard than Italian or German players for example. And it's not like he was playing against amateurs, Cooper was hard to get the ball off, even playing against great players like Breitner and Stielike. It's not like with those values he's going to be running circles around the opposition, just enough to not make him lose possession every time he's pressed. He's still noticeably worse there than guys like Keane, Hughes and Robson, in fact he's even lower than Nobby Stiles for example. I don't think that's overrating him in any way...

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Well, in that case Enforcer could be added if you noticed him as an aggressive ball winner aswell, with "only" Anchor Man, he will only stay really deep to simply cut passes.

I'd lower ATT instead if he occasionally went forward just to be another player in offensive actions, with the 70's in AGG he should do it well.

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Attack changed from 70 to 68
Enforcer card added
ATT/DEF Awareness changed from Balanced to Defence Minded

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]