Captain: Wladimir
Short free kick: Roberto Rivelino
Long free kick: Roberto Rivelino
Free Kick 2: Sócrates | Cláudio
Right corner: Roberto Rivelino | Cláudio
Left corner: Roberto Rivelino
Penalty: Sócrates | Roberto Rivelino | Cláudio

INFO:

Last edited by Interista93 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Mikerdead39 wrote:
Bola Clássica wrote:
Mikerdead39 wrote:
Another thing that can be discussed is the entry of Ronaldo Giovanelli in the starting 11 instead Gilmar. I don't want to go into that subject right now, but Ronaldo has more games and more titles.

I agree that Ronaldo is more important, has more games and more titles. He is also more iconic for the club and a bigger idol for the fans than Gylmar. All those things are totally true.

But... Gylmar is so far a better goalkeeper than Ronaldo, but soooo far that it has to count anyway.

Also, I would put Cássio among the 23, not Ronaldo. Cássio has similar stats than Ronaldo and he is still playing. Cassio has not so many games, but superior in titles and he is a better goalkeeper in my opinion.

Well, I think that in an All Stars team the importance of someone in the club should be a bigger criterion than skills and technical criteria. Bigger ≠ Better. I honestly think that Ronaldo and Cássio should be the starters, but they certainly won't accept that. Gilmar is a great (in other words, in size) at Santos, I believe that at Corinthians there is no room for him with guys like Ronaldo and Cássio, who played more than him and won more than him, even though they were worse goalkeepers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really wanted to ignore those "suggestions" but guess I have to reply here: How it's even possible to even think that the best ever GK from Brazil and backbone of Corinthians for a fucking decade should be out because he has less games than those two amateuers is out of my mind.
Funny btw that one of you insisted to put Domingos in first team and best XI here (exactly because he was better player than Luiz Carlos) and the other one doesn't say anything about that. But yeah, Gilmar is the problem here :lol:
What's next? Ralf in best XI because he has more games than Socrates? :lol: Seriously, you come to this forum, don't even try to understand our criterias and want to set up your own ones..
And since you don't understand the concept of best XI: It means the best players from the club, not the most capped or most decorated players :roll:

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:33 pm

I know Gilmar won major titles with Santos but still played more matches for Corinthians than he did for Santos, was a regular at Corinthians for a decade and part of the team when he won his first World Cup — even though this is not the main criteria to consider. Therefore, he deserves a slot in the first squad in my opinion. Since the Best XI is supposed to have the best team possible in terms of abilities of the players, Gilmar surely makes it.

Last edited by Interista93 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Milos wrote:
Wasn't Gilmar at Corinthians for like, ten seasons or more? I think that his longevity at the club along with his immense quality, qualifies him for the first team.

Similar example is Blagoje Paunović in Partizan. He's our best ever player who hadn't win a trophy with the club.

Yes, he has. Just like Ronaldo has (but he played more games and won more titles). Gilmar has 393 as a starter while Ronaldo has 602, and with a Campeonato Brasileiro and a Copa do Brasil, something Gilmar did not win, and the Paulistas are equal, 3 for each.

Cassio has 544 games as a starter, and his titles are not even discussed. He is the goalkeeper of the most important titles in the Club's history.

all sources are from the site "meutimão"

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:39 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
I really wanted to ignore those "suggestions" but guess I have to reply here: How it's even possible to even think that the best ever GK from Brazil and backbone of Corinthians for a fucking decade should be out because he has less games than those two amateuers is out of my mind.
Funny btw that one of you insisted to put Domingos in first team and best XI here (exactly because he was better player than Luiz Carlos) and the other one doesn't say anything about that. But yeah, Gilmar is the problem here :lol:
What's next? Ralf in best XI because he has more games than Socrates? :lol: Seriously, you come to this forum, don't even try to understand our criterias and want to set up your own ones..
And since you don't understand the concept of best XI: It means the best players from the club, not the most capped or most decorated players :roll:

Lol, so put Tévez and Ronaldo in your XI and be happy. If skills is as equal as idolatry, then I don't understand the criteria either. It seems that the argument is more Brazilian national team than Corinthians.

edit: And just for the record, I have an opinion on Domingos' question here, but besides being fallacious to talk about it because it has nothing to do with the discussion, it still shows that your argument is more emotional than logical.

Last edited by Mikerdead39 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:43 pm

Interista93 wrote:
I know Gilmar won major titles with Santos but still played more matches for Corinthians than he did for Santos, was a regular at Corinthians for a decade and part of the team when he won his first World Cup — even though this is not the main criteria to consider. Therefore, he deserves a slot in the first squad in my opinion. Since the Best XI is supposed to have the best team possible in terms of abilities of the players, Gilmar surely makes it.

Well, it's a valid discussion, they're both goalkeepers with great longevity. But the discussion is not nonsense, that's what I mean. Was Gilmar better than the two combined? Yes it was. Did he play more than them? No. Did he Earn more than them? No. If we just rely on how good a guy was as a tiebreaker, then we're pretty much a hole in those same criteria. The 3 are goalkeepers for a decade, but I have no doubt who were the 2 most important for >>CORINTHIANS<<.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Quote:
Yes, he has. Just like Ronaldo has (but he played more games and won more titles). Gilmar has 393 as a starter while Ronaldo has 602, and with a Campeonato Brasileiro and a Copa do Brasil, something Gilmar did not win, and the Paulistas are equal, 3 for each.

Cassio has 544 games as a starter, and his titles are not even discussed. He is the goalkeeper of the most important titles in the Club's history.

So, then, Cassio should replace Ronaldo. As the best Brazilian keeper ever, and as a Corinthians legend who played for the club for ten years, Gilmar is simply irreplaceable. If he played less, for example two or three seasons, then it would have been reasonable to remove him. In this case, it doesn't make sense at all.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Mikerdead39 wrote:
Lol, so put Tévez and Ronaldo in your XI and be happy. If skills is as equal as idolatry, then I don't understand the criteria either. It seems that the argument is more Brazilian national team than Corinthians.

The skills are the criteria for the best XI after the first squad is made by following the other criteria.

Milos wrote:
So, then, Cassio should replace Ronaldo. As the best Brazilian keeper ever, and as a Corinthians legend who played for the club for ten years, Gilmar is simply irreplaceable. If he played less, for example two or three seasons, then it would have been reasonable to remove him. In this case, it doesn't make sense at all.

I was thinking the same. I'd rather replace Ronaldo with Càssio.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Milos wrote:
Quote:

Well, I think this consensus can be reached, although I still have my doubts. Anyway, I don't think there is an "irreplaceable" in this case, there are 3 great goalkeepers at Corinthians, I just gave my opinion on the matter.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:55 pm

Mikerdead39 wrote:
gurkenjoe93 wrote:

Yeah, because Ronaldo and Gilmar are comparable :lol: Are you too stupid to understand what Interista, Milos and I all told you or don't you want to understand it? We're talking about a GK that played over 400 games in ten years and at least won the Campeonato Paulista three times, not a guy like Domingos that spent four years at the club while he was already past his prime (not even mentioning Ronaldo or Tevez).
How is it even an argument that Gilmar didn't win Copa do Brasil and Campeonato Brasileiro when those tournaments didn't even exist when he played for the club? Socrates, Rivelino, Wladimir and Baltazar all didn't win those titles, should they be removed as well? According to your nonsense criterias they should be removed, that's for sure.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:56 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Mikerdead39 wrote:
gurkenjoe93 wrote:

Yeah, because Ronaldo and Gilmar are comparable :lol: Are you too stupid to understand what Interista, Milos and I all told you or don't you want to understand it? We're talking about a GK that played over 400 games in ten years and at least won the Campeonato Paulista three times, not a guy like Domingos that spent four years at the club while he was already past his prime (not even mentioning Ronaldo or Tevez).
How is it even an argument that Gilmar didn't win Copa do Brasil and Campeonato Brasileiro when those tournaments didn't even exist when he played for the club? Socrates, Rivelino, Wladimir and Baltazar all didn't win those titles, should they be removed as well? According to your nonsense criterias they should be removed, that's for sure.

Different players, different cases. Next one. 8-)

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:04 pm

Look at it this way. Was it Gilmar's fault that Corinthians didn't win the Campeonato Brasileiro or Copa do Brasil while at the club? Or was it more due to the fact that Corinthians didn't even participate in any national tournaments until 1967, 6 years after he left? Gilmar won the trophies with Corinthians that were available to him at the time. Not his fault that Ronaldo and Cassio got to compete in three times as many tournaments as he did.

I know for a fact that 500 games of being the best Brazilian goalkeeper of all time and one of the best in the world are worth more than 600 games of being a decent goalkeeper by international standards. This is like asking for Zidane to be removed from Real Madrid All Stars because Lucas Vazquez has more games and trophies than him.

Anyway Cassio was probably better than Ronaldo and should be there over him in my opinion.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:15 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Look at it this way. Was it Gilmar's fault that Corinthians didn't win the Campeonato Brasileiro or Copa do Brasil while at the club? Or was it more due to the fact that Corinthians didn't even participate in any national tournaments until 1967, 6 years after he left? Gilmar won the trophies with Corinthians that were available to him at the time. Not his fault that Ronaldo and Cassio got to compete in three times as many tournaments as he did.

I know for a fact that 500 games of being the best Brazilian goalkeeper of all time and one of the best in the world are worth more than 600 games of being a decent goalkeeper by international standards. This is like asking for Zidane to be removed from Real Madrid All Stars because Lucas Vazquez has more games and trophies than him.

Anyway Cassio was probably better than Ronaldo and should be there over him in my opinion.

Well, I think my criteria were misinterpreted, but it's my fault, I should have expressed myself better. There is a difference in comparing a reserve with many titles than someone who truly represented the club even though he earned less. The point is that specifically in this case, we are talking about 3 super representative and super important goalkeepers each in their time, one vastly better than the others but at the same time inferior in other criteria. What I mean is that it's not unreasonable to consider this hypothesis, and I would personally scale it that way. Yes, Gilmar is not to blame, but it doesn't change the fact that there are people who earned more, with the same importance when given the proper proportions. Yes, I think Gilmar and Cassio are correct, just as I think Gilmar and Ronaldo and Ronaldo and Cassio are correct.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm

By the way you ignored the Torneio Rio – São Paulo which was arguably the closest thing to a national title Brazil had at the time and had most of the strongest teams in the country. Gilmar won 2 of these. So he isn't actually below Ronaldo in trophies at all.

Also the number of games is largely irrelevant when the numbers are that close. Gilmar played almost 500 games for Corinthians, the difference between him and Ronaldo and Cassio is like 2 seasons of matches. You can't kick someone out the team because they played 10 seasons instead of 12 despite being 10 times better, it's crazy.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:42 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
By the way you ignored the Torneio Rio – São Paulo which was arguably the closest thing to a national title Brazil had at the time and had most of the strongest teams in the country. Gilmar won 2 of these. So he isn't actually below Ronaldo in trophies at all.

Yes, you're right, I didn't put the Rio-São Paulo tournaments because I didn't think it would interfere so much with my point, but I was wrong and you're right.

StuartBannigan wrote:
Also the number of games is largely irrelevant when the numbers are that close. Gilmar played almost 500 games for Corinthians, the difference between him and Ronaldo and Cassio is like 2 seasons of matches. You can't kick someone out the team because they played 10 seasons instead of 12 despite being 10 times better, it's crazy.

Yes, but that's not what i meant, the amount of games only served as statistical examples. If you go to Flamengo's thread, you'll see me defending a guy with less than 100 games and only 1 relevant title as a starting player. I take into account the player's representation in the club first, not the statistics, and no one can say that any one of these 3 goalkeepers was overwhelmingly less or more representative than the other, unless some crazy person volunteers to say so. The statistics served as a complement. What I said at the beginning was that ---->Me, Mikerdead39<-------- according to my criteria, I would put Cassio and Ronaldo. But I'm obviously not an authority here and I don't intend to be, and I think Gilmar and Cassio are the best consensus.

Besides, I think the discussion is taking a lot longer than it should. I really appreciate everyone, I really like putting ideas to the test.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:58 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:

Would you prefer Luiz Carlos instead of Domingos da Guia for Corinthians' first 23?

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next